By Andrew Blake
“As a chef I taste a lot of coffee. It pains me to know that so much of it is grown in unfair working conditions – I am thrilled that now there is an option to buy a coffee that compromises neither its quality of taste nor the quality of life of its growers.”
- 100ml strong Oxfam fair coffee
- 75ml Pedro Ximinez
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tblsp sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 30 small savoiardi
- 90g Oxfam fair dark chocolate, grated
- 75g Oxfam fair milk chocolate, grated
- wine goblets, 6 large
- Mix Oxfam fair coffee and pedro ximinez together and set aside.
- Over a double boiler, beat egg yolks and sugar until mixture lightens in colour and forms ribbons (i.e. halfway to zabaglione). Allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Fold mascarpone into egg yolk mixture one quarter at a time.
- Fold mascarpone mixture into egg whites and set aside.
- Lay savoiardi along edges of wine goblets all the way to the bottom, lining the entire glass (while keeping 6 savoiardi for later use).
- Using a pastry brush, paint the cookies with the Oxfam fair coffee/pedro ximinez mixture.
- Fill each goblet one-third full with mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with Oxfam fair dark chocolate.
- Lay one savoiardi across centre and paint with Oxfam fair coffee/pedro ximinez mixture.
- Fill each goblet with remaining mascarpone mixture, topping each with grated Oxfam fair milk chocolate.