By Ben O’Donoghue
“Oxfam’s fairtrade coffee is a fair brew in every sense. Oxfam uses 100 per cent organic Arabica beans that are roasted and packed here in Australia. The range varies in strengths and intensities with the World and African blends offering the most robust yet smooth flavours.”
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 150g Oxfam fair dark chocolate
- (64% cocoa solids)
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 tbs ground Oxfam fair coffee, dissolved in 2 tbs boiling water
- 1 tbs Tia Maria or other coffee liqueur
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup (250ml) pure (thin) cream
- 1 tbs runny honey
- Mint sprigs and strawberries, to serve
- 3 tbs (50g) Oxfam fair hazelnut spread
- 100g white chocolate, chopped
- 11/2 cups cornflakes, crumbled into rough crumbs.
- Place Oxfam fair dark chocolate, butter and Oxfam fair coffee in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water) and stir until Oxfam fair chocolate is just melted. Remove bowl from pan and stir in Tia Maria. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and leave to cool to body temperature – dab it on your lip, it should feel warm.
- Meanwhile in a clean, dry bowl (any water or fat will affect the result), use electric beaters to whisk the eggwhites for 3-5 minutes until foamy and soft peaks form. Whip the cream to soft peaks in a separate bowl, then keep chilled.
- When chocolate is cool enough, stir in yolks and honey. Gently fold in a third of the cream. Gently fold in half the eggwhite, keeping as much air in the mixture as possible. Fold in remaining eggwhite followed by remaining cream.
- Divide mousse among 6 1-cup (250ml) serving glasses (or 1 large bowl), and chill for 4-6 hours to set. For crisps, put Oxfam fair hazelnut spread and chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water (don’t let bowl touch water) and stir until chocolate just melts. Remove bowl from pan. Stir in cornflake crumbs. Pour mixture onto a 30cm sheet of baking paper, top with another sheet, then use a rolling pin to roll out 2-3mm thick. Place on a tray in fridge to harden for at least 2 hours. Break into shards. (Keeps 4-5 days in an airtight container.) Top mousses with strawberry and mint, and serve with cornflake crisps.
- If you like, you can melt a little extra white chocolate and drizzle it over the cornflake crisps to decorate.